Monday, October 4, 2010

I Tried Sneaking into Bulls Training Camp this Morning

NBA TV has been airing the training camps of various NBA teams, including the Knicks, Lakers, Wizards, and Heat. While watching them, I noticed that at some of the practices there are fans watching. I called the Berto Center, which is the Bulls practice facility, multiple times to see if they allow fans in. There was no answer.


This morning I drove to the Berto Center to check out the scene and see if I could sneak a peak into the Bulls practice. The facility is tucked away in a corporate office neighborhood, across the street from the Walgreen’s headquarters. The only way you would know it is the Bulls practice facility is by a small Bulls logo painted on the asphalt in the parking lot -- and the Bentleys, Range Rovers, and BMWs parked behind a closed gate.


I walked to the entrance of the building to find a note on the door asking me to ring the buzzer to the right. BZZZZZ….


Me: Hello, I’m here to watch the Bulls training camp!


Her: Who are you?


Me: My name is Ned Bothfeld


Her: Are you a member of the media?


Me: No, but I have a blog, Big & Little NBA Transactions. Maybe you’ve heard of it?


Her: No.


Me: Is there a certain time I can watch training camp?


Her: Never. It’s closed to everyone but the media.


Me: What if I slipped you a 20?


Her: No


Me: Can I try out? I have a sweet J…


Silence.


Determined to get some sort of value out of my journey, I walked over to a door on the side of the building. I held my ear up to it and could hear practice taking place – squeaking sneakers, Joakim Noah calling out screens, and Coach Thibideau barking out instructions. I was so close yet so far from it. If I can hear it why won’t they let me watch it? As a last ditch effort, I walked over to a Fox News reporter who was unloading his camera equipment from his car.


Me: Hello, do you have any extra media passes?


Him: I don’t, I’m sorry.


Me: Can I come in with you and we can say I’m your camera assistant or something?


Him: I can’t, I don’t want to risk my credentials.


Me: Oh come on. It will work.


Him: Get a job in the media and then you can come in.


Me: Shit. That sucks. Thanks for your time.


Thus, my attempt to watch training camp ended. Maybe tomorrow I will return with a keyhole camera and watch practice Erin Andrews style.

1 comment: